Monday, September 19, 2011

Contagion

I went to see the new movie Contagion last night with Eric and my sister and her husband. It was not a very good movie and only added to my growing OCD of germs in movie theaters. Yes, I occasionally Lysol the seats before I sit to see a movie. Don't judge!


The best part of the movie was a quote about blogging which I found to be very relevant to today and me especially, you know, with all the blogging I do.

Jude Law plays a blogger who rants against the pharmaceutical industry and government and in one scene he is confronting Dr. Ian Sussman (Elliot Gould) trying to get an interview claiming to be a freelance journalist.

 Dr. Sussman replys that he is only a blogger. And that "blogging is not writing. It's just graffiti with punctuation. "


I don't know why I found this to be so funny. Probably because of all the millions of people out there blogging and feeling like they are actually writers. Now, I am not saying that there are some really talented people out there blogging who are in fact writers. I just think that sometimes we forget how easy it is for anybody at all to be blogging about whatever they want with absolutely no credibility.

Take me for instance, I would in no way, shape or form call myself a writer yet I do have a sense of pride and accomplishment that you are sitting in that chair right now reading whatever I feel like writing, ahem typing. I have no editor or publisher to worry about. Just me and my ideas, bad grammar and all!

I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. What do you think? What's your opinion of bloggers vs. writers. Is there a difference? Are bloggers just self-proclaimed writers that are validated by the amount of followers they have on our site?

0 comments:

Post a Comment